Incredible Things Happen at Calhoun!
Apply to Preschool-5th Grade
Calhoun's Lower School admits children as young as 2 years 8 mos. and continues through elementary school-aged children entering fifth grade.
If you're interested in applying for the 2017-18 school year:
Please contact Robin Otton, 212-497-6575, for more information.
Our admissions process reflects the enthusiasm and spirit of the school; we'd love to have you join us for a tour, meet our students and faculty, explore our classes and facilities, and experience the joyful buzz of everyday Calhoun life.
Submit an Inquiry. Receive admissions information and notices.
Review Tuition fees, Tuition Assistance and FAQs. TA application is due December 15, 2017. Please note that we're unable to consider tuition assistance applications for families applying after November 15, 2017.
- Create an online account. Save and return as often as needed.
- For guaranteed tour and interview scheduling, submit your application for the 2018-19 school year by November 15, 2017. Application submission well before November 15th affords greater scheduling flexibility. The application fee is $75.
Once your application has been received, someone from admissions will contact you via email to schedule your two required visits to the school.
- 3's-2nd Grade Applicant Parent Tour of 160 West 74th Street, home of the preschool, kindergarten, first and second grade. Group tour for ten parents begins with program information about your child's age level, followed by classroom visits and a meeting with Lower School Director Alison Rothschild or Enrollment Director Andrew Hume.
- 3rd-5th Grade Applicant Parent Tour at 433 West End Avenue, home of 3rd-12th grade.
- Child Interview, 3's & 4's: Six children with three Calhoun teachers meet for an informal open play session. The parent or caregiver who brings the child sits at a table within the room and has the opportunity to view samples of Calhoun's narrative early childhood reports.
- Student Interview for K-5th grade: A small group of students meet with Calhoun teachers but are asked to separate from the attending adult, who will have an opportunity to meet with an admissions representative.
3's and 4's Applicants Enrolled in a Preschool Program
Kindergarten and 1st grade Applicants
2nd-5th grade Applicants
- Transcript Release (PDF): Print and submit this form to your child's current school. (Please remind the school that we require the most recent school report.)
- Teacher Recommendation (PDF): One recommendation from a current classroom teacher
(Standardized tests are not required or accepted for our admissions process; Calhoun believes such tests are not an accurate assessment of a child's strengths or potential.)
Tuition Assistance application: Unavailable for 3's and 4's applicants. Optional for kindergarten-fifth grade applicants and due December 15, 2017. For the 2018-19 academic year, we will consider tuition assistance for families applying before November 15, 2017 to all Lower School grades other than 3rd or 5th grade.
Apply to 6th–12th Grade
Outlined below are the steps to begin your exploration of Calhoun and to complete your application for 6th-12th grades. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to our admissions staff.
- Create an online account to begin your application for the 2017-18 school year. The application fee is $75.
Getting to know each young person applying to our school is the most important part of the admissions process. We invite interested families to attend an Open House or tour the school at any time during the admissions process.
Once an appliction is received our office will contact families to schedule the student interview. Applicants spend part of the visit in small groups, participating in an experiential activity that reflects Calhoun's progressive philosophy. The activity is followed by an individual interview with a Calhoun teacher.
The student activity sessions take place throughout the admissions process on selected dates between November and January.
The parent/guardian interviews with a member of our Admissions Office the same day as the student visit. The interview is an opportunity for the parent(s)/guardian(s) to ask questions and learn more about Calhoun.
- Transcript Release (PDF): Print and submit this form to your child's current school. (Please remind the school that we require the previous year's transcript and a current-year school report.)
- Teacher Recommendation (PDF): Teacher recommendation forms are confidential and must be sent directly from the applicant's current teacher/school to Calhoun. Please submit at least two recommendations from current classroom teachers, including teachers in math and English. We want to receive the reference by the end of your child's first fall term.
- Submit Graded Writing Sample: Applicants must send a copy of a graded essay with the teacher's comments visible. For 9th-12th grade applicants, it must be an essay (no creative writing) from current English/Language Arts or History/Social Studies classes. For 5th-8th grade applicants, a creative writing piece is also acceptable.
Calhoun will accept applications for 2017-18 tuition assistance for families in 6th, 7th and 9th grades.
For families for admission after November 30, 2016, we are unable to offer tuition assistance for 2017-18.
Visit our tuition assistance page for more information.