Apply to Preschool-5th Grade
Calhoun's Lower School admits children as young as 2 years 8 mos. and continues through elementary school-aged children entering fifth grade.
Our admissions process reflects the enthusiasm and spirit of the school; we'd love to have you join us for a tour, meet our students and faculty, explore our classes and facilities, and experience the joyful buzz of everyday Calhoun life.
If you're interested in applying for the 2017-18 school year:
Please contact Robin Otton, 212-497-6575, for more information.
Submit an Inquiry. Receive admissions information and notices.
Review Tuition fees, Tuition Assistance and FAQs. TA application is due December 15, 2017. Please note that we're unable to consider tuition assistance applications for families applying after November 30, 2017.
- Create an online account. Save and return as often as needed.
- Submit your Application for the 2018-19 school year by November 30, 2017. Application submission well before the deadline affords greater scheduling flexibility. The application fee is $75.
Once your application has been received, someone from admissions will contact you via email to schedule your two required visits to the school.
- 3's-2nd Grade Applicant Parent Tour of 160 West 74th Street, home of the preschool, kindergarten, first and second grade. Group tour for ten parents begins with program information about your child's age level, followed by classroom visits and a meeting with Lower School Director Alison Rothschild or Enrollment Director Andrew Hume.
- 3rd-5th Grade Applicant Parent Tour at 433 West End Avenue, home of 3rd-12th grade.
- Child Interview, 3's & 4's: Six children with three Calhoun teachers meet for an informal open play session. The parent or caregiver who brings the child sits at a table within the room and has the opportunity to view samples of Calhoun's narrative early childhood reports.
- Student Interview for K-5th grade: A small group of students meet with Calhoun teachers but are asked to separate from the attending adult, who will have an opportunity to meet with an admissions representative.
3's and 4's Applicants Enrolled in a Preschool Program
Kindergarten and 1st grade Applicants
2nd-5th grade Applicants
- Transcript Release (PDF): Print and submit this form to your child's current school. (Please remind the school that we require the most recent school report.)
- Teacher Recommendation (PDF): One recommendation from a current classroom teacher
(Standardized tests are not required or accepted for our admissions process; Calhoun believes such tests are not an accurate assessment of a child's strengths or potential.)
Tuition Assistance application: Unavailable for 3's and 4's applicants. Optional for kindergarten-fifth grade applicants and due December 15, 2017. For the 2018-19 academic year, we will consider tuition assistance for families applying to kindergarten, 1st or 4th grade before November 30, 2017.