In second grade, students work on building social-emotional competencies such as self-awareness, accountability, flexibility, respect for and appreciation for others, intrinsic motivation and leadership skills.
Activities that support development:
- Naming the cluster: voting, taking into account every voice in the classroom
- Students’ share of talents, passions, interests, and/or family customs
- Daily cluster jobs: everyone has a job, and everyone understands they all must participate to make the classroom function well for everyone.
- Identity molecule project: Students share aspects of their identity they feel are important for others to know.
- Group research projects and presentations