2nd-8th Grade Classes
ASP81 classes are open to Calhoun 3rd-8th graders, with several classes open to Calhoun 2nd graders. All classes take place either in Calhoun's 81st Street building (433 West End Avenue) or at outside locations through affiliated programs.
Prices vary widely, depending on material costs, location, and whether the program is hosted in Calhoun or by an affiliated, outside organization. Several of the classes and ASP services are available with financial assistance, based on the specific financial aid percentage for which the family is already qualified.
For Financial Aid, please contact the ASP81 Office, 212-497-6501.
Enrolling for Classes
Registration for ASP81 is available online. Full payment is due with registration and may be made by credit card (online only), check, cash or money order.
Semesters, Class Times and Vacation Days
Semesters are 14 to 17 weeks long. The first semester ends in January; the second semester begins at the end of January and ends in mid-June. Classes run daily from 3:30pm-4:45pm, with the option for extended day services. Snack is provided in the cafeteria from 3:00pm-3:30pm. There are NO ASP classes on holidays, vacation days or half days when Calhoun is closed.
(Be sure to check the calendar.)
ASP will be canceled in the event of a weather-related school closing or unexpected emergency. The Calhoun community will be notified of any necessary scheduling changes. Refunds for classes will not be issued in this circumstance.
Drop-in Care for 3rd-8th Graders
Calhoun's ASP81 program offers Drop-in Care for students in 3rd through 8th grades.
The following drop-in options are available on an as-needed basis [see ASP Services for descriptions of each]. :
- 3rd-5th graders can "drop-in" to Cub Club
- 5th-8th graders can "drop-in" to Homework Help
To use these services, a Drop-in Pass must be purchased (online), redeemable for 5 days of drop-in care. To request drop-in care, parents go to the same online Drop-in Care: Passes & Request form. Passes expire at the end of the school year.
Extended Day Care
Please note that ASP81 Classes begin at 3:30pm and end at 4:45pm (unless otherwise noted). Students must be picked up when class ends. If you require regular care after 4:45pm, please register for Extended Day. Each ASP registrant receives 3 free Extended Day drop-ins to be used as needed.
2nd graders attending ASP81
- 2nd grade students will be picked-up from their classrooms at 2:45pm
- students should bring all belongings: coats, backpacks, etc.
- students will convene in a lower level classroom for check-in
- chaperones will walk students to ASP81
- students should come prepared for all types of weather
- students will join ASP81 upon arrival
- a light snack will be provided at 81st St or families may opt to pack a healthy, nut-free snack from home
- pick-up for ASP81 is at 433 West End Ave (unless otherwise specified)
Late Pick-up Fees
ASP81 ends promptly at 6pm. There is no extended care available. If a child is picked up later than 6pm, the parent will be charged an additional dollar for every minute past 6pm. Families will receive an e-bill for the late fee, payable online. Financial Aid does not apply to these additional charges.
If lateness is habitual, ASP has the right to refuse service.
Guidelines for Registration and Payment
If any scheduling problems should arise, we will be sure to contact you.
- Registration is on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Students are not guaranteed their space in class until a registration form has been submitted.
- Full payment must accompany the online registration.
- Full refunds will only be guaranteed if the class is canceled or if a student withdraws before the start of the semester.
- Partial refunds will be granted up to the third class of the semester.
- No refunds will be given after the third class.
- ASP reserves the right to cancel class due to insufficient enrollment.
- ASP reserves the right to limit class sizes.