COVID-19 Testing Logistics
Participation in Calhoun’s COVID-19 testing is required of all students and employees to be permitted on campus.
Read and review Calhoun's Informed Consent for Participation document regarding COVID-19 testing.
See details of Calhoun's testing schedule.
For any school-related health questions, please contact school nurse Lisa Moldowsky, 212-497-6561.
Overview of Procedures
- On distribution day (see schedule attached) students in all divisions will receive testing kits from their cluster teacher before the end of the day.
- Employees will collect their kits from the individual noted in the weekly email from Nicole Nelson, Contact Tracing Director.
- If your child is remote or otherwise unable to be on campus for test kit distribution, you or a designated proxy may collect a testing kit between 8am-3pm on distribution day. Please contact the school office to make arrangements.
- If your child has been instructed to submit test results from an independent PCR COVID-19 test in lieu of Calhoun's weekly saliva testing, please submit results to Nicole Nelson 48 hours before or after Calhoun’s most recent sample collection.
- Any student or employee who has had a confirmed case of COVID-19 in the last 90 days is not required to submit a sample. In this case please submit a doctor’s note confirming the diagnosis to the school.
- Please be sure to write the student’s name, grade and date of birth on the label on the sample bag.
- Employees should be sure to write their name and date of birth on the label on the sample bag.
- Parents or guardians should assist students to safely self-collect saliva samples at home. Sample collection instructions can be found here (written) and here (video).
- The ideal time for saliva sample collection is immediately after waking up in the morning or before bed the night before.
- Do not use mouthwash for at least two hours prior to providing a sample. This is critical to the viability of the sample collected.
- Do not eat, drink, smoke, chew gum or brush your teeth at least 30 minutes prior to providing a sample.
- Students and employees should return the sample bag at the collection stations by the entrances to each building.
- Please be sure the label on the bag containing the collection tube clearly shows the individual’s name, DOB and (for students) grade.
- If your child will not be at school for collection day for any reason other than illness, you may send a proxy with your child’s filled collection tube. Please be sure the bag containing the tube is clearly labeled with the student’s name, grade and DOB.
- All samples should be submitted at student drop-off in each building, or to the 81st Street building no later than 10:30am on Tuesdays or 11:30am on Thursdays.
As a reminder, our Contact Tracing Director, Nicole Nelson, will immediately reach out to any individuals identified in a potentially positive pair. Students and employees in cleared, “COVID-19 Not Detected” pools will not receive individual communications.