ASP@81: 3rd-8th Grade
ASP@81 classes are open to Calhoun 3rd-8th graders. All classes take place either in Calhoun's 81st Street building (433 West End Avenue) or at outside locations through affiliated programs.
Prices vary widely, depending on material costs, location, and whether the program is hosted by Calhoun or an affiliated, outside organization. Several of the classes and ASP services are available with financial aid, based on the specific financial aid percentage for which the family is already qualified.
For financial aid, please contact Beth Portnoy.
Enrolling for Classes
Registration for ASP@81 is available online. Full payment is due with registration and may be made by credit card (online only), check, cash or money order.
Semesters, Class Times and Vacation Days
Semesters are 14 to 17 weeks long. The first semester ends in January; the second semester begins at the end of January and ends in mid-June. Classes run daily from 3:30-4:45pm, with the option for extended day services. Snack is provided in the cafeteria from 3-3:30pm. There are no ASP classes on holidays, vacation days or half days when Calhoun is closed.
Be sure to check the web calendar to see when school is in session throughout the year.
ASP will be canceled in the event of a weather-related school closing or unexpected emergency. The Calhoun community will be notified of any necessary scheduling changes. Refunds for classes will not be issued in this circumstance.
Drop-in Care for 3rd-8th Graders
Calhoun's ASP@81 program offers drop-in care for students in 3rd through 8th grades.
The following drop-in options are available on an as-needed basis:
- 3rd-5th graders can drop in to Cub Club.
- 5th-8th graders can drop in to Homework Help.
- 3rd-8th graders can drop in to extended day after classes end, 4:45-6pm.
To use these services, a Drop-in Pass must be purchased (online), redeemable for five days of drop-in care. To request drop-in care, parents/guardians must go to the same online Drop-in Care: Passes & Request form. Passes expire at the end of the school year.
Extended Day Care
Please note that ASP@81 Classes begin at 3:30pm and end at 4:45pm (unless otherwise noted). Students must be picked up when class ends. If you require regular care after 4:45pm, please register for Extended Day.
Late Pickup Fees
ASP@81 ends promptly at 6pm. There is no extended care available. If a child is picked up later than 6pm, the family will be charged an additional dollar for every minute past 6pm. Families will receive an e-bill for the late fee, payable online. Financial aid does not apply to these additional charges.
If lateness is habitual, ASP has the right to refuse service.
Guidelines for Registration and Payment
If any scheduling problems should arise, we will be sure to contact you.
- Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Students are not guaranteed their space in class until a registration form has been submitted.
- Full payment must accompany the online registration.
- Full refunds will only be guaranteed if the class is canceled or if a student withdraws before the start of the semester.
- Partial refunds will be granted up to the third class of the semester.
- No refunds will be given after the third class.
- ASP reserves the right to cancel class due to insufficient enrollment.
- ASP reserves the right to limit class sizes.
For questions, please contact ASP81@calhoun.org.